Sunday, July 27, 2014

Champs Barbershop, Cartersville GA

Recently, I was asked by Heather Lynette of Ginger Snaps Photography to assist with a calender shoot at Champs Barber Shop.   I loaded up with three lights, my camera, and a few extra batteries and headed to Cartersville.

This turned out to be a very fun shoot.  In the past, I've attended a few large group shoots that turned out to be nothing but a huge train wreck.   I'm always apprehensive about such events.   It never fails that there will be an over abundance of creepy old guys with cameras, or high-drama intoxicated "models" accusing each other of stealing lipstick.  Or someone shows up drunk, stoned, or geeked up.  Or all of the above.   I try to avoid those shoots.   Those shoots tend to be an all around bad experience for everyone.

But at this shoot, I couldn't have asked for a more cooperative group to work with.  Heather was in charge, and it went great.   I was the only creepy old guy with a camera that was present.   The models were perfect.  Easy to work with, fun, and drama-free.  As always, Heather had great ideas on make up, posing, and how to schedule the shoot so there wasn't to much down time for the various participants.  We had a few individuals bring by some great old vintage vehicles.   A second shoot has been planed, I've been invited, and I'll definitely be there!

Charles Alex Tucker, the owner of Champs, has done a great job of creating a very unique business in the heart of downtown Cartersville.   A lot of history has been preserved here.   I spent most of my time running around, moving lights, etc, but I heard bits and pieces of stories that Charles was telling to various people.  For example, he recounted a meeting with an individual who told him the story of getting off of a bus in front of Champs when he returned home from WWII after participating in the Normandy Invasion.   A few miles away, on the other side of a 4 lane divided highway, there are a lot of large chain retail stores that care very little about the history of this community.   Something good and worthwhile is being preserved here at Champ's Barber shop, and Charles deserves support from the community.   You can't beat $8 for a haircut.  Go see him!!

I think I made most of the photos below other than the ones that I'm in.   Heather shot those.























1 comment: